Thursday 3 October 2013

Featherstone Castle University Trip

Featherstone Castle Trip

Visiting the castle was a good break from the busy city and really was in the middle of nowhere. The castle itself was quite dusty and a little cold in some of the rooms however, this suited the rustic feel of the place and once the fire was going felt homely which provided a great environment to bond with other people on the course. In our first project we explored the technique of camera obscure which I found particularly fascinating and still don't yet understand how it works fully. We were able to project a reversed upside down image of the outside of our bedroom onto the wall inside by blocking all light from the windows leaving just a small hole around 5 cm in diameter. To actually capture the image on the camera it required a tripod (or a step ladder in my case) and a shutter speed of around 1 and a half minutes with an aperture of 5.6 and ISO of 1600. 








The second task we were assigned was to experiment with the flash equipment available to create ghostly and spiritual photographs using long exposure. Living in the castle itself helped to inspire my thoughts and ideas by giving a true feel of what it's like to live in an old 13th century castle. I decided to use our bedroom for shooting because all the light was stilled blocked out the windows which gave me a very dark room to work, in allowing me to use long exposures. Because the room was so dark I used a torch to light my own face which allowed me to move around the room in different positions to create the effect of a spirit. The light trail from the torch added to the idea that the spirit is moving around the room and appearing in different places.

No comments:

Post a Comment