Wednesday 9 October 2013

Nightclub Photography experiment

Nightclub Photography


Within my first week of moving to leeds i managed to get my first photography job where I actually get paid. It seems to be about who you know these days with getting work and luckily for me my new flat mate knows a DJ that needed a photographer for last friday. I accepted the job straight away as i had a few days to read up on some tips on google and that left me enough time to borrow a flash gun from the collage. I did some quick research to get me started with some of the settings and a quick crash course on using a flash gun so i was ready as i could be.
Luckily some of my flat mates were also going to the same club so i had some company and was able to save money on sharing taxi's. The taxi arrived 45 minutes late so that then in-turn made me late. Anyway it did not matter too much as i still had around 3-4 hours to get some shots.

Taking the shots


First thing i did when i got in the club was of course setup the camera and take some test shots. Im a more hands on person and like to learn from trial and error so i setup my camera with some basic settings and started with a aperture of 5.6, shutter speed of 25 and ISO of 800. The first problem I encountered was auto focusing, as there was not enough light for this to work effectively and looking through the viewfinder then manually focusing was not much easier as I could not see enough detail. The live view finder worked well but the focusing is much slower so I decided to set the focus point to 1.3 meters away and used this as a guide as to how far away to stand from my subjects. I also adjusted the shutter speed up to 30 of a second. As the night progressed I became much more confident and hope this reflected in my work as the shots near the end of the night were improved from the start.

I fully enjoyed the job as I enjoy going out clubbing myself however, drunk people can be a little annoying when your not drinking and kept asking to borrow my camera.









No comments:

Post a Comment