Monday 19 May 2014

Fruit n' Veg Project


The reason for my choice in subject matter was linked to the colours and patterns of the fruit and vegetables that I chose to shoot. I needed to use fruit that was partly transparent and colourful in order for the technique to work. Being too transparent would also be a problem as the light would leak out too much and show rays of light. I wanted to go down the route of commercial or advertising work so I needed to create clean and vibrant images that are not too busy and leave room for possible text, slogans or logo’s. This affected the way I approached my subjects technically as the background was very important to the image. In my earlier shoots I played with different colour backgrounds and also plain white with reflections on the light tables. The most effective images were of the glowing fruit with the deep black background to remove any distractions. To achieve this effect I used a fibre optic lighting kit to light the subjects from the inside while on a pillar so that the background would not be lit at all.
There were some issues with the final shoot and I didn’t actually know I was going to use the fibre optic lighting kit until I couldn’t get the effect I was looking for by placing the different fruit an veg over the front of a snoot blocking the light and illuminating the subjects themselves and nothing else. Too much light was leaking from the sides so I came up with the idea of lighting from the inside. I learnt how to use a new piece of equipment I had never used before and has inspired me to use it for future projects and ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment